Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 21 July 2011

Off To The City.

The country mouse went up to the big city today. Actually Exeter is a very small city but still a lot bigger than Barnstaple. It's a university town so there are lots of young people around and a lot of tourists as well. It felt very cosmopolitan as all around I could hear voices babbling in french, Spanish, German, Polish, Russian and Arabic. I spent 20 years living in central London and another 10 in Greater London so I'm used to cities but for most of that time I dreamt of escaping to the country and now that I'm there a little dose of the city is enough.


Everywhere there were tempting cafes offering a range of delicious looking foods (not greasy fast foods) but being ever frugal I settled for some nuts and a creamy dessert from Sainsbury's which I ate sitting on the steps of a statue on Cathedral Green.
After the recent spell of wet weather is was good to feel the sun. The temperature was a pleasant 22-25C. Perfect for me.




Much of the City Wall still stands. It was built by the Romans in 200 AD and though since repaired by others some of it is still the original Roman workmanship.



The centre of Exeter is a pedestrianised shopping area which has had a lot of renovations in the last few years. All around are interesting views of the old mixed with the new.


I was in Exeter for an appointment at the hospital. That went well with many apologies being given for the delays. They aren't talking about an operation yet but I made my feelings known about how much my life is being affected. The consultant arranged, there and then, for me to come in next week to have nerve blocking injections into the spine which will be diagnostic even if they don't cure the problem. I've never had treatment offered so quickly before.


I wasn't going to miss a chance for some shopping and took an earlier train so that I could check out the shops. There were sales everywhere, signs of the times I suppose. I bought a new walking jacket, bright magenta with a brown fluffy liner jacket that can be worn on its own. That was reduced from £99 to £30. I also bought a black fluffy hooded top and some mad fleece lounging bottoms for the winter. They are way too big but I can take them in at the sides and they will be nice and cosy.

No comments: