Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 22 July 2011

Last Day of Term.

But not quite the end of school as the Year 2 team will be in on Monday. We were given the choice of coming in on any day during the holidays but it makes sense for us to come in at the same time and it is better to get things done first and then enjoy the holidays. Even though I have been bringing stuff home all week my car was packed tonight. I was given lots of lovely cards and flowers, chocolates and wine and other presents including a watch which I sorely needed as the strap broke on my watch last week and I've had to resort to carrying the watch in my pocket. Shame I don't drink but there will be plenty of people in the house that do and I'm already tucking into a box of pralines. There were also all my own things which I had bought to improve the classroom including 4 sets of square baskets which have been ideal for storing the children's work and making the place look tastefully tidy. These particular baskets are no longer available and I have even been asked if I wanted to sell them but they will do nicely at home keeping some of my mess under control. The classroom looked very bare once everything was down. It will be interesting to see how the new teacher arranges things. A classroom is such a personal statement as there is usually a wide choice of colours to use for the display areas and the tables and cupboards can be arranged in all sorts of ways. I tend to go for maximum space as I'm big and bump into things if there are narrow spaces.


It's been funny old weather today. One minute blazing sun and the next black clouds appear bringing heavy showers. I notice that we had a power cut this morning so maybe there was thunder around as well. The downstairs is looking very ethnic as the dark brown plaster dries to a pale terracotta. Once it is all dry I can paint it white. It will be such a relief not to have that tasteless 'Disney castle' effect that the previous owner was so fond of.


All the recent rain has boosted the growth in the veg plot. The mazuna is looking the best. The original courgette and squash plants got totally eaten up but the solitary courgette that I managed to find is hanging on, for the moment. The sugar snap peas are flowering but the french beans and the sweet peas are struggling. Most of the pak choi has gone to seed but I'm sure there will be enough to add to oriental dishes when my youngsters are here and the sprouting broccoli looks fine. Not bad for an initial go at growing vegetables.


The parent bush of this bright buddliea died after I pruned it but luckily a seedling was growing in another spot and I was able to take a number of cuttings which are also doing well in the veg plot. Off to bed now for an early night.

1 comment:

happyone said...

I'm sure the new teacher can't possibly be as good as you. : )
Hot here today. It is a record breaking 104 degrees!! The normal should be mid 80's!