Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 4 September 2023

Hot.

We've had lovely weather today, hot (officially 27C/80F) with a pleasantly warm breeze. 
I got three loads washed and out on the line before starting work in the garden. Working my way through all the chisel-like tools we have I managed to chip away enough of the protruding granite to allow the gate post to sit flush against the wall. Now I need to get some black screws to fix the hinges and then that job will be nearly done. Even though it was really too hot to be moving plants I dug up the buddleia in the back garden and moved it down to the front. The bright pink azalea was cut back a bit and then tied back under the hedge. A few other things were planted, a spirea and a ceanothus to complete the shrubbery with knautia and a verbena bonariensis to fill the gaps between for the time being.
By that time I was too hot to do any more and ......... I went for a swim. This is the first time this year as I was too busy when we had the earlier hot spell and the weather has been a bit grim since then. As I got to the crowded beach I spotted somebody I know heading for the water. I joined her and another chap I know but it took me a while to get used to the water which felt quite cold. Unlike the Med which has been as warm as bathwater whenever I've been there on holiday. I began by simply floating on my back and then found I could swim for a lot longer than last year which is encouraging. Coming out of the water the I didn't need my oversized towelling hoody and simply let the sun dry me as I walked home. 
Earlier in the garden I'd got excited when I spotted two damsel flies but of course they'd gone by the time I got my camera. However when I went to hang up the last load of washing there they were sitting on the washing line.

As promised here's a glimpse of F's stunning garden.






This is a crystal apple cucumber, about the size of a large apple, from F's garden. It's an old variety and tastes very nice though you do have to take off the skin.

This evening we ate our supper outside since it was so nice and warm. People were in the water right until it got dark and even now the stars are out it doesn't feel cold.


No comments: