Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 29 September 2023

Warm.

The warm southerly wind blew in some lovely weather especially in the afternoon.
After yesterday's exertions at aerobics I slept well and woke this morning fairly refreshed. As is often the case I found it better for my back to get up and move around rather than to stay in in bed. After the usual breakfast preparations I headed out to the terrace with a large mug of tea. It was already getting light but it was only the birds that were up. Above I could see the silhouettes of groups of gulls, usually 10-20 of them but sometimes nearly a hundred flying by heading south along the coast. Apart from the occasional squawk they were silent as they went on their way. At first I thought they had come from the beach but as more and more appeared I realised they must have been coming from somewhere behind the village. The house next door blocked my view so I couldn't tell from where. And not only gulls, sometimes there were groups of corvids amongst the gulls. They were a bit more vocal and I was able to hear both rooks and jackdaws. (There is a very large colony of jackdaws that hangs around the village.) I wondered where they were all going, maybe down to the dump on the edge of Aber?
Having an early start meant that I was able to get everything done without rushing and could leave a little earlier for my riding lesson.
I was glad I had a little time in hand because as I crossed the River Rheidol I was able to photograph some cows crossing the river.
I often see this herd of Welsh black cattle, an ancient breed that goes back to pre Roman times, in the meadow as I drive along the track (above) to the stables. They live in a natural herd of cows, calves and a bull, but I hadn't realised they crossed the river onto an island and presumably to another meadow. They did make me smile as the stragglers began running towards the river.
There were six of us in the lesson and instead of lovely Seren I was 'promoted' to Cadno (fox) a larger quite chunky chestnut.  The first difference with Cadno is that he reacts unfavourably (I didn't ask for details) to a long schooling whip so I exchanged mine for a short crop. But apart from that he is an excellent schoolmaster. Ridden correctly he responds perfectly but I had to work hard to bring him onto the bit (imagine going from lolloping along with his neck stretched out changing to an arched neck and and a more active and responsive horse). It's a matter of asking gently with the reins not just hauling the horse's head down. Cadno is a lot bouncier than Seren and I was finding it harder to keep my bum in the saddle in canter but on the plus side he responded much better and would go into canter anytime I asked him. I just need to improve my seat.
After the lesson I drove into town stopping first at Morrisons for  some shopping. Then to Charlies for a mooch around where I came away with three more sheep's bit scabious, one of the first lot has been chomped by slugs, three very pale pink sea thrift and some thyme all half price in the 'sad' corner. I also stopped in town for a quick spin around the charity shops. Despite all the not so subtle hints I'd dropped to Peter that the large (about the size of a grapefruit) glass sphere would be the ideal anniversary present even telling him exactly where in the shop it was, I saw the sphere still sitting in the shop. And then he complains that he never knows what to get me. So I bought it for myself. At £12 it was a bit of an extravagance but at least the money goes towards helping local families.

When I got home I threw some washing in the machine as it was such a good drying day. My machine must be on its way out as it doesn't seem to rinse properly and I have to run an extra rinse programme. I've checked the filter and that's clear so I guess it's just its age. And then I mixed up some mortar and stuck down another row of blocks on the raised bed walls. One more day and it should be done.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Cool to see the cows crossing the river.