Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 3 September 2023

Sunny Sunday Walks.

It looks like we are having a welcome hot spell, long may it last. 
At 6.00 this morning the world was just waking up. In the distance an autumnal ribbon of mist hung over the River Dyfi though I was comfortable enough wrapped up in my dressing gown, warm cat on my lap and a mug of hot tea in my hand. By 6.30 the first fishermen were heading out. One casting from the edge of the water, yesterday's wheeled kayaker already out by the reef and two more guys bringing their kayaks down the beach. A cormorant caught himself a fine fish but lost it moments later.
Eventually my body began to creakily ease its way back to working order and after more contemplation of the garden I did the morning chores and some Duo Lingo It was still relatively early so I went for a walk along the beach. The keen swimmers were in the water joining the fishermen who hadn't given up yet. On my walk I came across two dogs being walked on the 'No Dogs' section of the beach. I could have taken the easy option and not done anything but I've found that if I approach with a smile and speak amiably then people don't respond aggressively. I always let them know that dogs are allowed on the beach from the golf course onwards. One holidaymaker apologised and said he didn't know which is a possibility. There are signs on all the main ways on to the beach but I don't think there are any on the eight passages that cut through from the High St. to the beach. The other chap said he had just let his dog out to relieve itself, duh the whole point is not to have dog's mess on the sand. Even if they pick it up the sand could still be contaminated with germs or parasite eggs. But we kept the conversation cordial and he took his dog off the beach. 
This afternoon's walk was in the woods belonging to B and F. I've been there before but it was still lovely to walk through the mature woods with B pointing out details of interest.
One of the many beautifully crafted structures in the woods.

B's workshop from the days when he ran a full scale woodworking/joinery business.
We ate our lunch in this sunny clearing and afterwards had fun trying out some of the outdoor games B had made when he ran activity courses for troubled youngsters.
The bar skittles game was fun and so too was the rough and ready croquet course. I played a round with this group of miscreants and all I can say was that there was a lot of cheating (and laughing) going on. Not so easy was 'Frisbee Goal'. Each team, in our case two of us, stood in a goal and took turns to try and throw a frisbee through the opposing goal. I failed miserably, firstly because I can't aim a frisbee and secondly when the frisbee came hurtling at me I shrieked and leapt out of the way. A good thing too as another player ended up with a dented leg when the frisbee was thrown by B who had had plenty of practise at this.
We then carried on walking through the woods,

crossed a sunny field and then back into the woods to F and B's house. There we had tea, buttered slices of Bara Brith and lots of chat in the beautiful garden (photos tomorrow). 

I arrived home to find the sun still shining. On days like this the paddleboarders and kayakers like to come out into the bay, sometimes in groups, to watch the sunset. Lots of orange and pink streaks in the sky tonight.
Peter who is of course the resident mariner, informs me that this catamaran is a very expensive ocean going vessel. You could almost think we were overlooking the Med.
 

No comments: