Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 24 September 2023

Windy.

It hasn't been quite the stormy weather I was expecting which has only just hit us. (Much rain pounding on the roof.) Instead it was a grey, warm and windy day.
As it wasn't actually raining after our usual leisurely Sunday breakfast, I went out to do a little work in the garden. The wind had blown the Palantir down to the ground so it has been relegated to just being a silver ball in the flowerbed. I gave the concrete bird bath a scrub and 'walked' it to a new spot in the garden. After that I turned my attention to the back garden. One thing I like about the back garden is that it is made up of small separate areas and it is very satisfying to see each area tidied up. I began with the herb garden. Now that the fennel and lovage have been taken out it was just a matter of pulling up the many tiny seedlings. I worked my way round the tubs and raised beds and did my best to remove all the vinca that was entangled in the trellis. There was also some bindweed coming through from my neighbour's garden. She had a chap come and prune all her shrubs and mow the lawn but I don't think he's going to do anything else. Maybe I should offer to pull up the bindweed from her side.
Eventually I came back inside and began on the latest batch of produce. Tomatoes from our garden have now been made into sauce for the freezer and the apples stewed. They and the crystal apple cucumbers came from my fellow walkers. There were only six of us yesterday, one couple couldn't come because of covid and the change of day didn't suit the rest.

And now for a few more sunny photos from yesterday.
Plenty of acorns, at times we crunched our way over a carpet of acorns beneath the oak trees.
A dragonfly.
Big, fat sloes. They looked good enough to eat but I wouldn't advise it, they are so sour. Must remember to go and give my bottles of sloe gin their weekly shake.
How could I not include these two rescue donkeys even though they have made an appearance before?
 

No comments: