Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 23 September 2021

Warm,

Morning saw us with grey clouds and choppy seas then by the afternoon it was all change back to beautiful blue skies and sparkling seas.
The top of the long hedge had been looking rather straggly so straight after breakfast I got out the electric hedge trimmer and gave the hedge a good trim. Using the step-up it was relatively easy and it took longer to clear up the cuttings from the pavement. With the hedge being more than 3ft wide I couldn't reach right across it with the trimmer as the safety feature means you have to keep both hands on the trimmer. Better than having a nasty accident. 
Then it was time to get ready for our first Beginner Level Welsh lesson which unfortunately was on Zoom rather than face to face at the university which is what we thought we were getting. Neither of us had used Zoom before but we'd downloaded and tested it without any problems. However when it came to the lesson/meeting my audio failed. I tried everything, Peter came in to help but my PC froze and we ended up with both of us sharing Peter's PC. I'n starting from scratch and I'd used the on-line resources to get to grips with the pronounciation. After years of teaching children to read using English phonics it is so hard to reprogramme my brain especially for the sounds that don't occur in English such as ch, ll, r, and dd. So I made myself this aide memoire to help my poor brain cope. Today the class was mostly introducing ourselves and learning how to say "How are you?" with a few responses. We've got a lot of words to learn for homework and there are some very good on-line resources to use during the week.

The rest of the afternoon was spent hedge cutting and baking peanut butter and chocolate cookies. As I'd previously planned I worked on reducing the width of the hedge by at least a foot. This involved climbing up on the wall and sawing at quite big branches. Not only will this make the hedge eay to trim from the street but it will be good for the health of the hedge as currently the top of the hedge is still full of dust from powdery mildew which should reduce with more air getting to the leaves.

Some interesting clouds tonight. I think they are altocumulus stratiformus undulatus. Later the almost full moon shone like a searchlight over the houses.



 

3 comments:

happyone said...

Good luck with your learning Welsh!! :)

Ruta M. said...

Diolch.

happyone said...

Croeso - You're welcome?