Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 8 September 2021

Zoo Day.

Much more cloud in the sky and a bit cooler too. The thermostat in the kitchen was reading a pleasant 24C/75F for most of the day. My neighbour told me that it's due to rain at midnight tonight so I shan't water the back garden plants this evening. 
The first thing I did when I got to the zoo today was to check on the peachicks. They were both there busy joining the hen in a dustbath.
The peacock is quite a naughty bird as he roams around the zoo (and sometimes outside too). Here he's sneaking into the vegetable prep room. Once I'd taken the photo I chased him out and shut the door. Earlier I'd been sitting at one of the picnic tables having a coffee with some of the other workers (staff, volunteers and owner) when the peacock began hanging around. By stretching his neck he can just see what is on the table and his interest was taken by the chips (French fries) on somebody's plate. Eventually the eater of the chips caved in and gave him a small one even though the other day the peacock had jumped up and stolen and eaten a whole sausage from a sandwich that the guy had been eating. He's also recently stolen a whole piece of carrot cake from one of the visitors which had had to be replaced. He looks so appealing it's not surprising people feed him. The consensus is that the large bowl of bird food which is left out for him is mainly eaten by the wild birds.
With the majority of the animals not allowed in the public area some of the older pens are being dismantled. The wire mesh will be used for off site pens but the majority of the wood isn't worth salvaging.
Most of my weeding today took place outside the entrance to the zoo. While I wasn't going to weed the whole of the carpark clearing a 12" strip along the gates made it look more cared for. I also did some weeding around a plant bed which is overgrown with yucca plants. I had to be careful as they are quite spikey but once again doing the edge made a great difference. The midges were out in force again but I sprayed myself copiously with insect repellent which kept the worst of them at bay.
Back home from the zoo I had a shower and then went back to the doctor's surgery. This time to show a lump on the side of my toe to a medical student (our surgery is linked to the medical school at the university). He confirmed my thoughts that it is probably a cyst specifically a ganglion cyst but although it can be painful he wasn't optimistic about the chances of anything being done about it. Being a fan of 'Dr Pimple Popper' I was hoping to hear that I could have it removed but reading the NHS page it seems the first step would be to have the synovial fluid drained. I did warn the chap that I'd do it myself which he advised me not to, we'll see. Seriously that would only be a last resort. 
Aha, Peter's just returned from another row. Hopefully it will still be nice enough to sit out for a while.


 

No comments: