Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 14 August 2010

Attack Of The Flies.

The weather has been a complete mixture today. Pouring rain first thing, then cloudy and cold. It warmed up in the afternoon with a few sunny spells for long enough for me to get the lawns cut. There were a lot of persistent flies around so being one of those unfortunate people that gets bitten & then itches like mad, I covered up with a long sleeved man's shirt from the rag bag and a headscarf worn like an old babushka. To complete the ensemble I wore my shorts (well it is summer) teamed with a pair of steel toe-capped wellies (just in case I suddenly have the urge to run the mower over my feet). Not one of my more flattering outfits. I finally dug out the ailing trailing rosemary from the wall by the scree garden. In its place I've planted some blue grass that had seeded itself in the stones.
The butterflies were busily taking advantage of the dry spell and the buddleia was covered with feeding butterflies. This view of the comma butterfly shows the distinctive white mark on the underwing which gives it its name. The group of swallows could been seen and heard swirling around high in the sky but at least one of the yougsters was back in the outbuilding this afternoon.
Apart from some gardening I've been doing more tidying up in the conservatory,( one window leads to another and another), and other bits of tidying around the place.
Peter went off to do some rifle shooting at a local range today, something he hasn't done for a long time, and did very well so he's a happy bunny. Target shooting has always been his passion and he was devastated when the government cut down on private ownership (after Dunblane) and he had to hand in his guns.

No comments: