Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 24 August 2010

A Gathering Of Dragonflies.

I have been back in work mode and took advantage of the dry weather to make a start on cutting back the leylandii hedge and arch. I had hoped to persuade the boys to do that last week but the wet weather wasn't conducive to outdoor work. Peter did send Romas out to give me a hand which was helpful even if I did have to give a further trim to the section of the hedge he did. I also did most of the mowing as the forecast is for yet more heavy rain coming in from the Atlantic. I had to leave the bottom lawn as it was still very wet. Astilbes in the bog garden.
The strong autumnal winds will soon be blowing the apples off the trees before they get a chance to ripen. This is what usually happens but the apple trees are growing in the chickens' run so they get the windfalls.
As I walked through the garden I was surprised to see a group of dragon flies that had taken up station on a plank bridge over a rill. It is the first time I've seen a group together like that, they kept circling away and then landing back on the wood. Either it was a courtship group or the the warmth and dryness of the wood was attracting them.


No comments: