Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 25 August 2010

Back To School.

Guess what? It's raining again. I've started to think about work (that stuff I do that brings in money). Because the teacher I'm covering for had to change classrooms there's an awful lot of sorting out to do so I was relieved to be able to get into school today. I spent 4 hours getting to grips with the big walk-in cupboard and doing a basic shuffle round of the tables and cupboards so that the classroom is the way I like it. I've been teaching in that room once a week so I have been mentally planning how I would like things. Even though I was working full-time for a month before the end of term my contract doesn't start until next week. That way the school avoided having to pay me for the holidays and any extra, like today, is by my own choice and unpaid. We have got 2 (paid) non-pupil days next week which should give me enough time to put up displays and sort out the children's new work books. I know that once term starts I'll be busy every night with school work so I'm trying to get on with 'home' jobs and have some final relaxation time.
Vicky and Romas went into town today for an all-you-can-eat buffet at the Chinese restaurant before going to see Toy Story 3. They report that there are scenes at the end that are definitely not suitable for children and there were a number of very upset children in the cinema. I couldn't believe that Avatar, which I loved, was parental guidance only and a number of my 5 year old pupils went to see it. I thought it had far too much violence for young children.

3 comments:

Elora said...

Ruta,

Thanks for commenting on the "violence" aspect of what should be something suitable for children! Even as adults, we seem to be pummelled with violence. Sheesh! Last night we watched an old (2007, I believe) movie starring Matt Damon, Leonard DeCaprio, and Jack Nicholson. I wish I had begun to count from the beginning, but there must have been at least 300 uses of the "F" word, and violence was horrific. I curled up in a ball and went to sleep, knowing full well that I would otherwise be visited by nightmares! It was simply awful! I have a lot of trouble believing that the viewing public is asking for this kind of so-called "entertainment."

Elora

happyone said...

I agree with Elora!!!

It's hard to believe that it's back to school time. It seems like we all were wishing for summer!

Catching the Magic said...

I haven't seen Toy Story 3, but Dan took Sophie (who is only 4) and she loved it - I shall have to see it for myself when it comes out on DVD.

We are constantly talking to the children about how movies are made and the difference between fact/fiction/fantasy and hope that with some guidance they will 'understand' better and not be negatively influenced.