Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 2 June 2012

Serious Mowing.

Today I have been cutting grass while Peter was out rowing. All through the spring I have been congratulating myself on keeping up with the mowing while conveniently forgetting about the strimming of hillside paths and other corners that needed doing. I had used the excuse of not having the strimmer wires to leave the job 'for later'. Maybe subconsciously I was expecting those areas to harmonise with the lawns and stop growing or for the job to be done by someone else. Not surprisingly the grass continued to grow so when the postman brought me the strimmer wires today I felt I should make a start. Plan A was to get out the extension wire, mow the tiny lawn by the scree garden and then strim all the paths up on the hillside. With 2ft high grass lying strewn about the place it looked like a battlefield so I moved on to plan B - get the mower out and cut all the lawns to give a semblance of tidiness. At this point I was feeling motivated enough to move on to plan C - get the strimmer out again and deal with all the long grass down by the yard and along the drive. I went over as much as I could with the mower to level the grass off and clear the cut grass and I was so energised I got the second extension wire out so that I could deal with all the grass at the top of the drive and around the veg patch even cutting the drive verges on Paul's land. Brambles, stinging nettles and bindweed were beginning to encroach onto the drive so it was with great satisfaction that I swung the strimmer through all these unwanted weeds. It just started to rain as I cut the last verges and I swept the loose grass off the road in the light drizzle.
After a refreshing shower I felt I had earned a relaxing evening which I started with my favourite meal, cous-cous with tinned herring and fresh tomato (nutritious and easy to prepare) while watching the last of the Planet Earth Live series which I had recorded. Baby animals are always cute and there was a serious amount of anthropomorphism but the scenery was stunning and the stories captivating. The rain is now falling heavily, just as forecast which is bad news for all those street parties planned for tomorrow.




This afternoon I popped inside for a visit to the toilet when I glanced through the bathroom window to see 4 pairs of bovine eyes staring at me. I tried chatting and even mooing at them but there was no response, just stares. Silly moos.

No comments: