Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 24 June 2012

Windy With Sunny Spells.

This morning saw all 3 of us down at the slipway for some gig rowing. Linas was there to have a taster session. Although he did well with the actual rowing he doesn't want to join the gig club because he found rowing a bit boring. He had quite a bit of experience of rowing and sailing when he was in the Sea cadets and prefers sailing. Never mind. There were a lot of people there for taster sessions including a friend who is a TA at school. She really enjoyed her row and I think she may well join the club. There were lot of branches & tree trunks floating in the river after all the stormy weather we have been having and the slipway had to be cleared of debris before the gigs could be launched. Every now and then a large tree trunk would float past showing how quickly the river was running. Barnstaple is a small town and part of my conversation with a lady who works up at the local 6th form college was about how our boys are getting on. It seems that the combination of unusual names, height and individuality (I wonder where they got that from?) makes them quite memorable. Another lady told us about her trip just this week to Iceland to celebrate her 50th birthday in the land where the sun doesn't set. I finally got a turn to row and initially was unnerved by not having a trainer sitting behind me telling me what to do. The first instruction from the cox, called down the length of the gig was to turn the blade of my oar the other way round. Oops. I think it is going to take me a little longer to get the hang of rowing but a few times I stayed in time with everyone else and the gig felt like it was flying along. Also although my back was beginning to ache with all the standing around once I started rowing it eased off or at least I didn't notice it and I haven't felt any further ill effects. Here the day has been windy with longer and longer sunny spells though the temperature has stayed 11-15C. I did get Linas to mow the lawns that weren't too wet and I was able to weed and tidy the whole of the path in the scree garden. That was after I bottled this year's elderflower champagne hoping that it will do better than last year's and baked a chocolate cake. Linas made another batch of flapjacks as he has worked his way through the last lot. Peter cooked roast lamb for supper and also fixed my PC which had lost the Internet connection. Something to do with the Home Hub and addresses?

No comments: