Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 18 June 2012

A Special Visit.

Strange weather today, a bit of everything. I left home in bright sunshine but as I drove along the top of the hill I could see low clouds all around trailing wisps of swirling vapour towards the ground.
It was overcast in town until mid afternoon when the sun broke through. The temperature shot up and then to confuse us a very heavy shower fell just before it was time for the children to go home.

We had an exciting visitor this morning in school - one of the Olympic torch bearers, along with a man from West Country TV (must record the news). Rick was chosen to carry the torch because of the charity work he has done for the local children's hospice, Little Bridge House. His little boy Kieran, came to our school when he was well enough but sadly passed away. Since then Rick has worked hard to fund raise for this amazing hospice which provides care for both the terminally ill children and their families. At school we have a tree and a friendship bench in memory of Kieran.
Rick talked to the children about the torch and then let them all hold the torch. Group photos were also taken of the children with the torch. We thought that parents could buy the photos as a fund raiser for the hospice.


I'm not that into any competitive sports and I wasn't too fussed about missing the torch relay through Barnstaple, (that was the day I had an appointment in Exeter), but I still took the chance to have a photo taken with the torch. This is the most sporty I get.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Hey pretty cool that you got to hold the torch.
The fund raiser idea sound like a good one.
It is especially sad when the children have to suffer.