Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 15 February 2014

Calm.

Last night's wind and rain continued on through the morning so we had a bit of a lie-in. My back doesn't let me sit up in the mornings so it literally was a lie-in listening to R4 and watching the trees lashing about in the wind. 
When we did finally get up it was to discover that last night's storm had blown the roof off the small shed by the yard. 
The whole roof had been flipped over and the force of the wind had even ripped out the concrete holding the beams in place. I was hoping that we would be able to simply flip the whole thing back again but unfortunately the roof came down over the corner fence post of the chickens' run and at least half of the plastic panels have been damaged. We do have insurance but the excess we would have to pay is more than the cost of a couple of new roof sheets so I guess I'll be roofing this week. Considering that once again 129,000 homes are without power today and so many people are still flooded I can't really complain.
Then one of the curtain poles in our bedroom which has always been wobbly came away from the wall. Luckily since my big DIY sort out I knew exactly where the wood glue and the NoNails were and Peter was able to securely fix the fitting back on to the wall. For most of the year our curtains are just ornamental as we don't bother to draw them but we've been keeping the bedroom curtains drawn to help keep out the cold.
It stayed dry all afternoon so after unhooking the baskets that had been hanging under the shed roof and thinking about how I am going to tackle the roof mending I got on with more weeding. Earlier I had found Speedy tucking into the carcass of a cock pheasant but then Patch stole it and took it under a tree. Short rations for those two tonight.


No comments: