Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 12 February 2014

Cold.

It's been very cold today. The warning is for strong winds, 60 mph here and up to 100 mph in Wales, and a month's rain in the next couple of days. It feels like that already here. The morning was cold with frequent icy showers. I couldn't check if the snow was still there on Exmoor because even from the top of the hill the visibility was only about a mile. The rain eased off as I got to school and we had a dry afternoon though the strong winds were icy cold. No staff meeting today so I left early just as the sun came out. I couldn't go my usual way home because the road was closed at Burridge by the Muddiford turn off. I could see workmen and someone up a cherry picker so presumably there was a problem with the overhead electricity wires and /or the trees that overhang the road there. Driving down to Muddiford I kept a wary eye on the big trees at the side of the road as they swayed violently in the wind. A number of fallen branches could already be seen at the side of the road. By the time I got home the sun had gone and the bad weather had closed in again. I took a brief walk around the garden looking for something to photograph and as I turned the corner of the house the wind nearly blew me over. Right now the wind is howling around the house and down into the fireplaces. It's a good thing we got that chimney sorted or it would surely have fallen down by now.
I tried to take some pictures of the small birds on the feeder but it was so windy all my pictures were blurred. This hen pheasant is part of a group that were walking around on the back lawn. 
Peter came home but he is rushing out again for a gig club committee meeting. As safety officer and trainer of the junior crews he needs to go to this meeting though he would much rather stay at home.

No comments: