Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 18 February 2014

Warm.

The sun was back again today and it was much warmer. It was nice enough that I was able to open windows to let some fresh air in. I could never live in one of those eco houses where everything is sealed shut. I feel a good breeze blowing through the place freshens everything up, except when the farmers have been muck spreading. This morning I met up with 7 friends, and 2 babies, for coffee and chat at a big garden centre. We had a lovely catching time up with each other's news and laughing over some of our daft escapades. By nature I am someone who is happy with solitude but it is very easy to cross the line into loneliness especially as we get older and our families move on. (There has been quite of lot of research into how loneliness can be  a major factor affecting the quality of life for elderly people and I intend to make sure that I keep in contact with as many people as possible rather than just enjoying my own company.) Today was such a good time, I don't know about chaps but there is something special about a group of women friends. 
 Views from the car park looking across the estuary towards Barnstaple.
It was quite hot when I drove on into town. I nearly left my jacket in the car when I parked up at Lidl's but there were a few ominous clouds in the sky and I didn't take a chance. I paid my usual visits to the library and health food shop and had a quick browse around the other shops before buying fruit and veg at the supermarket and filling up with petrol. This car must have a bigger fuel tank than the micra because it cost me £35 to fill it up. Even with my short journey to work that only lasts about 2 weeks.
Coming home there were more and more grey clouds in the sky and when I stopped to pick up the recycling box I felt a few rain drops.  

2 comments:

happyone said...

I know what you mean about getting together with a bunch of women. : )

Harriet said...

Ruta.....you are quite correct. As we age, it is vitally important to stay in touch with friends. Although a phone call is nice - nothing compares to getting together to share, laugh and see each face to face. Using my husband as an example....the chaps don't seem to need this. Perhaps it's because they continue an interest (Peter and rowing) that sustains them.