Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 22 February 2014

Mostly Dry.

It was lovely and sunny this morning after the early showers had finished but that didn't stop Speedy sleeping as close as possible to the warm rayburn.
By the time I got myself outside it was bright but not so sunny. Today's job was to strip the rotten wood from the side of the shed and replace it with fresh boards. Part of the problem with the shed is due to the fact that after the previous owners put up the sheds they piled wet soil/clay over the bottom 12". I dug down and laid a row of blocks and bricks so that the new wood is above the soil. We don't use the sheds but when we do put the place on the market it will be better to have something that looks like a shed rather than a heap of rotten wood. I've used up all the planks that I had and there are still another 23" to go so maybe I can make a panel out of the off-cuts. As I sawed the wood by hand I remembered how, until I was about 4 or 5 if anyone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up my reply was always "A carpenter." I've no idea why and I'm not naturally good at measuring and cutting carefully. Perhaps it was to do with going to church and hearing how Jesus had been a carpenter. Later my ambition changed and I was going to become a vet. I even got a provisional place at veterinary college but didn't get the grades and studied biology instead.

No comments: