Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 19 July 2019

A Rainy Day.


 It's been very warm today but also very wet. I hope that the weather improves for tomorrow's Green Man Day. A good day for relaxing/recovering once I'd caught up with the housework. Peter went out in the afternoon to help set up the display for the history display for tomorrow. Then he went on to help with setting up stages and signs.  
Back to Borth …….
After working hard each day Peter would head down to the pub and do some useful networking while armed with secateurs I tackled the garden. To start with the only way into the front garden was from the road though first I had to clear hefty brambles and 5ft high stinging nettles.
The 'lawn' is a wildlife haven filled with all sorts of flowering plants. At the moment all that needs doing is to remove the brambles and nettles. My main aim was to release the hydrangeas from the brambles and cleavers (sticky weed). There are at least 6 varieties of hydrangea in the garden, no doubting that they like the coastal conditions. Although the grass will eventually be replaced with some kind of paving I'll keep the mature shrubs. The hedge along the road on the other side of the garden needs major cutting back and a couple of large elder bushes taken out completely. That'll have to wait until the winter as there are sparrows and blackbirds nesting in there.
I did tackle the street side of the hedge cutting back any branches growing across the pavement. More secateurs wielding cleared the way down from the terrace and into the top section of the garden. I've left a number of piles of branches and weeds to wither away in the summer heat. There was enough room left in the second skip for me to get rid of several bags of weeds and prunnings cleared from the small terrace which is just big enough for a small table and a couple of chairs. 
In the evenings the sky was filled with swallows and house martins followed by a lone pipistrelle bat. I must take some binoculars the next time we go up as there are dolphins in the bay.

2 comments:

lea said...

Hydrangeas are survivors aren't they, but what a sad, neglected garden. It will look lovely again though. In the third photo there is a large shrub with pink flowers over to the side, is that Escallonia? If so, they do like the coast, we had one at my childhood home on the coast.
I hope your leg is feeling better, maybe you'd better pack yourself a little first aid kit for next trip. With all the work you do, bumps and scrapes will happen.

Ruta M. said...

Yes, there's quite a lot of escallonia and hypericum in the garden. I had disinfectant and a box of plasters but none of them were big enough for my shin. I've now got one of the dressings I bought left and another given by the nurse. Perhaps I'll also take the extra large dressings I still have in our home first aid kit. What I should have done was wear the work trousers I had brought along as well as the gloves and face mask for safety and a back support that I was wearing. Wearing shorts was not a good idea.