Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 20 July 2019

Green Man Day.

Despite some dark clouds and the threat of showers in the morning the weather turned out fine for Green Man Day. The festival has been organised by volunteers for the last 30 years and will be taking a break next year.
Peter manned the Pilton history exhibition while I had a wander along Pilton Street, meeting people I knew and checking out the stalls. There were a lot of stalls selling exciting food, home made cakes always excite me but there was also food from cuisines around the world. I treated myself to a churro and then a couple of sausage roll-style wholemeal pastries filled with lentils and beans from the vegetarian society stand.  
In Rotary Gardens the samba band played while costumed folk who had been in the procession took a break before their second performance of the pageant. The owl man was there along with the flea circus and merry-go-round for the children.
Then back into Pilton Street stopping to listen to performers along the way.
Green Man Day is very much a local (free) festival and is always well attended even on those years when it rained.
I may just have bought a slice of coffee and walnut cake for my return home where I changed into concert clothes, bright top & black trousers, did a singing warm-up and went through some of the songs. The choir met up in the old school playground next to the church for a warm-up and to go over a couple of tricky sections of our songs. Then into the church to arrange ourselves ready to sing to a packed audience. The cakes, teas and coffees with a chance to sit down might also be part of the attraction to draw people into the church to listen to various musical offerings throughout the afternoon. Our concert went very well apart from the start of Bring me water Sylvie when somehow the altos lost the pitch as we attempted to hum our part while the well-co-ordinated few stood in front and did the body percussion. I couldn't pick out where we were supposed to be at all but decided to go with my instinct when we began singing the words and luckily that got us back on track. Peter came in to listen and said that everything else sounded really good. After a welcome cup of tea in the church I nipped back home to change as it was really too hot for black leggings and then back out again to meet Peter and walk to the Rolle Quay Pub. There along with over 40 choir members and friends we had a great evening. The Bouzouki and guitar playing duo were there again and played everything from traditional Greek songs to The Stones and everything between. I don't think they've ever had so many people joining in before. There was food too, a choice of pizza, American burger or hog roast in a baguette so of course I ordered hog roast in a burger bun. As well as singing and eating there was a lot of dancing too, either Greek style or any old style which was fun. We left before 10.00 to amble home before it got dark.
As well as being our last Green Man Day it was also our last concert and evening out with all our choir friends. I shall miss singing with such a great group of friends. My Pilates has come to an end and Peter didn't rejoin the Gig club this year. It feels as if our ties with Devon are being cut as we attempt to get to Wales asap which we can't do until the leaking roofs have been made watertight. 


No comments: