Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 23 July 2019

Sweltering.

Record high UK temperatures have been reached today. Chivenor a few miles away had an official temperature of 29.4C/77F. I think if I would have taken my little thermometer outside it would simply have exploded. Tonight is also due to be hot with a chance of severe thunderstorms. When it's this hot the marble floor in the kitchen and hall is most welcome.
I think I must be catching up with my sleep as I woke refreshed at 6.00. Exercising by 6.30 which still gave me time to water the garden in the cool of the sea mist. I kept the washing machine busy with three loads that were dried, ironed and put away by the end of the day. 
Once the usual jobs were done I found myself a shady spot in the front garden where cooled by the breeze I could finish sanding the small wooden chest. This I did by hand which took a while. I'd think I was done when I'd spot another place that could do with a bit more sanding. Lashings of Brywax gave the wood a golden glow and a final buff with a duster put on a bit of a shine. A shame that a long splinter went through my work gloves and in and out of my finger looking like a rustic DIY piercing. At least my tetanus jab is up to date. In spite of the heat I covered up against the dust with face mask and safety glasses.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Oh I do like that chest!!