Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 24 July 2019

Humid.

Being close to the coast we didn't have an uncomfortably hot night unlike other parts of the country. Looking at the Met. Office site it seems that tomorrow the temperature is going to soar especially in the south-east. Apparently there was a thunderstorm in the distance last night but it didn't wake me up. (Tonight's news is telling me that it had been even hotter on the continent.)
I woke early again this morning but didn't have such an early start with my exercises as I've got a summer cold. I had thought my throat was sore due to so much singing on Saturday but now my nose is dripping so a cold it is. The sea mist kept things cool for a while this morning while I watered the plants and did my exercises. Later it got very humid and warm but stayed overcast until early evening.
After getting so much done yesterday I took things a little easier today but still got through a number of small jobs.  The garden wall had developed a new crack and the old one opened up a little as the clay subsoil dried out so I filled them and later painted over the filler. Then I got the transparent sealant to fill in a new space above the windows that might be the way water is getting in to the conservatory and added a second coat to a higher up seam that I filled the last time. Then, most importantly I secured Peter's beer barrel to the chair it sits on. Last night there had been a crash from the conservatory caused by the beer barrel sliding off the wooden slope it sits on and landing on the floor. I had to call Peter down because it was hissing slightly and I wasn't sure how much to open the stopper. Peter was most upset because it's real ale and the fall stirred up the sediment (finings) and he'll have to wait days before the beer is drinkable again. Or it may have been totally ruined which would be a real shame as it was a nearly full barrel. Being the kind of person who keeps things that might be useful I was able to find an adjustable strap with clips salvaged from a worn out backpack. A bit of rope to add extra length and the barrel is secured to the back of the chair. Only time will tell if the beer is salvageable. My final extra job was to wash floors, the marble tiled hall & kitchen plus the conservatory, dining room and bathroom. There was still time for us to sit outside, before the sun came out. We chatted and I made rough sketches of ideas for the new garden. I'm working on a compromise between my ideal design which would involve many tonnes of infill to raise the middle section of the garden and a more achievable version with a sloping path between raised beds to the lowest level. I start with an outline idea which evolves as I spend time working in or looking at the area in question.

 Some jellyfish I found on my early morning walk along the beach in Borth.
 A large, 8 inch diameter, moon jellyfish.
 A similar sized compass jellyfish.
A new one for me, an appropriately named dustbin lid jellyfish. They all have proper Latin names but I like their highly descriptive common names. We have six species of jellyfish and Portuguese man-o-war in UK waters and these three have little to no stinging power while the others can be severe. With my leg scrape I won't be entering the water for a while anyway.

1 comment:

happyone said...

That jelly fish looks quite large next to your foot!!
We've had a very cool day here.