Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 1 July 2019

Sunny.

The early morning greyness soon changed to a bright sunny day. I simply can't find any more things to wash at the moment so the washing machine stayed idle which felt wrong on such a good drying day. 
I finally completed my marathon back-up, back-up of photos with the last two months done this morning. Both the above piles of discs hold four years worth of photos. No wonder it was taking so long with the original discs.
With not much to do except keep the place tidy, yay we've got another viewing on Wednesday afternoon, I thought I might as well get on with some furniture refurbishment that I had thought about doing after we move. I started with this stool/side table which was originally a lab stool. 
The first thing to do was to sand off the old varnish from the top. This I did out in the front garden using my small electric sander, suitably clad in old fleece top, headscarf, safety goggles and face mask. Once that was done I polished the wood using Brywax, the stuff furniture restorers use. I had thought I'd only need to wipe down the legs before painting them but the last time they'd been done it was done very poorly (by me I expect). The paint surface was full of bumps and streaks which wouldn't be disguised by more paint. More sanding followed by wiping and then two coats of satin finish paint and I'm pretty pleased with the result.
As Speedy's plasters had been on his feet for a week I thought it time to remove them. To avoid further damage I carefully soaked the plasters and then used a small syringe to squirt water under the plasters. I got one wet enough to ease it off and was happy to see that the raw bit had reduced to about 3mm across, almost healed. The other one had stuck to the underlying scab and before I could soak the plaster some more Speedy pulled it off including the scab so it's almost back to the beginning. Will this never end? 

No comments: