Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 19 June 2023

When do you eat dinner?

We started off with a lovely sunny day so I filled up the washing machine. Then as the washing was ready to hang out the rain began. We had a morning of heavy showers and eventually a hot and sunny afternoon.
In between the showers I went out and finally managed to free the golden privet from the ground and got it moved over to the side of the garden. I had to do a fair bit of hacking off of the roots so I've no idea if it will survive but at least I'm giving it a chance. It still had a lot of roots and I had to move the hawthorn and the cotoneaster before I could dig a big hole. They're all back in and the ground is nice and wet after all the recent rain so they should be okay.
I also prised out and cleaned some more of the blocks. Not too many of them left now though there is a row that need taking out so that I can turn them round and replace them. Don't worry, it will all make sense once it's done.
I finished off with some ironing and then a couple of small admin jobs that had been bugging me for ages. There should just be time to sit out on the terrace in the sun with a cup of coffee before supper is ready. Last week we had a long discussion in Welsh class about the word 'dinner'. There is a word for supper - swper, and a word for lunch - cinio which can also mean dinner. But when do you eat dinner? Some say in the middle of the day, same say in the evening. Schools say both lunchtime and dinnertime for the middle of the day meal. My view is that dinner is a formal meal and supper an informal meal and both are eaten in the evening. And what about people who call the main evening meal tea? Oh the complexities of the English language. And according to our tutor they don't have dinner parties (evening) in Wales. 

 

1 comment:

happyone said...

We call our main meal of the supper which we eat around 5:00.
Mid day meal we call lunch and we eat that around 12:00.