Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 8 February 2024

Wet.

I woke this morning before 6.00 and spent a few moments trying to decide if I should schedule some gardening before or after Welsh class but when I heard the rain thundering on my study roof knew either option would be out of the question. So I put my head down and had a couple of extra hours sleep. And it hasn't stopped raining all day. 
Instead I pottered around doing housework in the morning and not much of anything after class. Looking at myself on camera at the start of class I noticed that my cheeks were rather pink and I've not been feeling 100% all day. I must be feeling rough because I've just let our aerobics teacher, the lovely Rachel, know that I won't be coming tonight. Much as I love the dancing it does take a lot out of you and I wouldn't want to jeopardise tomorrow's riding lesson. There is a long, 2 1/2 hour ride next week which initially I discounted because it's on Thursday and I thought it would clash with Welsh class but there's no class next week as it's half-term. But then the thought that it could be 2 1/2 hours of riding in the pouring rain wasn't that exciting so I'll wait until the Easter holidays when I'm sure there will be more long hacks.
While we've had rain other parts of Wales and England have amber weather warnings for snow and ice with up to 10 inches of snow forecast. Schools have been shut and already there are blizzard like conditions in the worst affected areas.  

I had a check and the temperature here is not due to fall below 5C so there's no need to cover the car windscreen and thankfully there won't be any ice on the roads in the morning. But the heavy rain is not without its problems too. At the moment there are 11 flood warnings (flooding is about to happen) across the UK and (below) 122 flood alerts (flooding is possible). I think flooding must be worse than having the power go out and reduced access due to snow. At least when the snow clears it doesn't take long for things to return to normal but it can take months and more before homes dry out. Let's hope those alerts don't come to anything.



No comments: