Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 4 December 2010

Detours.

It started to rain last night turning a lot of the snow to slush. I did go out (in my dressing gown & pjs) to brush the slush from the path but by morning it had frozen turning the path into a skating rink so maybe that wasn't a good idea. These pictures were taken at 10.30 as we left for a day in town.
Already the snow was becoming rather patchy though our north facing fields can hang onto their snow for quite a while. Going up the hill, ice all the way, we talked to someone on their way down who told us the main road was blocked just after the Muddiford turn-off so we went via Whitefield Hill. After driving over snowy back roads it was a relief to find hardly a scrap in town, just some rain. The High Street was filled with shoppers, a brass band was playing Christmas carols and everything was very festive. In Green Lanes (our small mall off the High Street ) there was a very cute Santa's grotto with these animatronic figures outside. The ponies tossed their heads and opened their mouths as the elves shook the reins or danced about.

Peter and I took the opportunity to visit a new Gurkha restaurant as we had been planning to have a meal there ever since it opened. We both had Gurkha dishes, I had a mild chicken curry like a tikka and Peter had sherpa lamb which was spicier. Peter had a bottle of Gurkha beer while I had a cup of tea first. I wouldn't normally have tea with a meal but it was quite cold outside and I needed to warm up. We both enjoyed our meal and wouldn't mind trying some of the other dishes. I dragged Peter into a furniture store to look at 2 wooden super-king (US queen) beds which I've been eying up. Seeing the real thing does give you a much better idea though I did feel a bit mean looking at them in a shop while considering buying them on the Internet. I called in at the camera shop to see what was happening with my big camera and lo and behold there it was. Apparently it came in yesterday. I couldn't try it out there as my card and battery were at home but I'll be glad to do some proper photography. The baby Nikon is fine but I don't feel I have so much control over the picture. More point and shoot than carefully compose, but it has kept me going and it is small enough to be slipped into a pocket. I decided to pay for 3 years' warranty as I do drag the camera with me everywhere and it does get the odd knock. Now that the 1 year warranty has run out it would cost me the same as the warranty just to have it looked at.
It was raining steadily on the way home with no snow until Okewill when we were back to ridges of snow along and across the road. And the rain turned into hail. We were able to drive all the way up to Shirwell but there the police signs were still across the road. Luckily we were able to go down by the village school and round that way. Couldn't see anything on the road but Sarah (when she came round with some post) said that the air ambulance had been called out. Sadly they usually only close the road when they need to gather evidence so it must have been serious.
We've got a good wood fire burning to keep us cosy this evening as we watch Strictly followed by Casualty. Don't need any supper after that lovely lunch.

No comments: