Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 20 December 2010

The Sons Return.

This morning there was much checking of train delays and many emails & phone calls. First I checked the train delays, fine according to the information on the web. The Peter phoned to say he was at work and the word was out that the Tarka Line (Exeter to Barnstaple) was closed. I managed to get hold of Romas and advised him to delay until tomorrow. More phone calls to Linas and by mid-morning they were running one train every 2 1/2 hours so the boys decided to return to plan A. Latest update puts Linas at Exeter waiting for Romas as the trains from Stoke have been delayed. Have spoken to Peter who is waiting for an update on their arrival in Barnstaple. The weather has been the big news today with airports closed and many roads affected by snow and ice. The police have been advising people in the South-West not to drive unless absolutely necessary so I heeded their advice and had a day in our valley. After doing some hand washing of socks etc I walked over to our neighbours' to deliver a card and a present for Jack. Stayed for a coffee & a chat, admired the tree which Jack and Paul had decorated before heading back through the powdery snow.
The sun didn't come out until the afternoon so I made a second trip out to take photos.

The lack of perspective always flattens out hills but this road is really steep, 1st gear only. Good cardio-vascular exercise getting to the top of this.

Some views from next door when it wasn't quite so sunny.

My afternoon has been spent getting the bedrooms ready and more tidying up. As I cleared one of those 'piles' that appear by magic on any surface, I stopped to read the magazine sent out by the Co-op (a supermarket chain that is part of a group of businesses run on co-operative and ethical lines and owned by the members). I became a member when my local Somerfields store was bought up by the Co-op. I had a vague idea that it was run differently to the big multi-national chains such as the country dominating Tescos and Sainsbury's but wasn't aware of their ethical policies or support for UK and overseas aid/projects. I shall now be making the Co-op my first choice of supermarket and urge anyone else who has the option to do so as well. The prices are just as good and they have up to 75% reductions on fresh produce towards the end of the day.

2 comments:

Catching the Magic said...

Beautiful scenery and photographs. Looks so wonderfully festive, even though the white stuff causes much chaos! Keep warm and well wishes and safe travels xx

happyone said...

Looks like the snow will be around for a while and you will have a white Christmas. Hope all gets worked out with the trains.
Beautiful photos.