Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 11 December 2010

HEAT.

We have HEAT. No oil delivery as yet, hopefully Monday, but Peter went out today and bought back some containers of oil and in a fit of extravagance has turned the heating on. Bliss - our bedroom is lovely and warm. The last remnants of snow lie by the side of our drive but the roads are completely clear.
Only a few strips of snow remain in the countryside. It has been quite warm today but temperatures are set to drop later in the week. If not snow it will mean icy roads again. School continues for one more week and then we can hibernate at home for a while.

You see all sorts in town. I didn't enjoy my shopping trip as much as usual because I was feeling so tired and it was quite crowded. Also I missed the Post Office by 15 mins. Fancy closing at midday on a Saturday. Some of my Christmas card might be a bit late. Sorry.


One of the nice things about Barnstaple is that unlike many other towns there are a lot of small independent shops alongside the big chains that make most towns clones of each other. Butchers' Row is a row of tiny shops that once were stables and then converted into butchers' shops. Now there are butchers, fishmongers, delicatessens and bakers. Lovely smells waft out as you walk along the road. Having dodged the crowds of bustling shoppers I added insult to injury and drove out to Tescos to stock up should we get marooned in our valley again.
Now we've treated ourselves to a pizza while watching Strictly and will soon be heading up to our toasty room to watch Casualty. I think I'll be asleep once my head hits the pillow unlike last night when I gave up trying to sleep and sat writing an email to our MP at 2 in the morning. (Complaining about the oil companies' profiteering.)

1 comment:

happyone said...

Good news about you having heat once again!!
I love towns with little shops. :-)