Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 18 December 2010

A Walk In The Snow.

After what seemed like so many days of trudging through the snow, up the hill and back down again, in the dark it was lovely to wake to a winter wonderland and know that I had all day to enjoy the crisp powdery snow. After a leisurely start and getting the basic housework out of the way I pulled on my boots and headed off up the hill.
The snow was soft and perfect for walking on, no risk of slipping over and some sunshine to lift the spirits. Luckily there was almost no wind so it didn't feel cold.

I walked up to Bowden Corner to take in the views southwards across Bideford Bay and out to Hartland. In the distance I could see a snow shower falling near Barnstaple but fortunately it didn't come my way.

I had a lovely walk and took the opportunity to drop some cards in at friends' houses on the way. Several of my friends were at home and I spent some time with one of them catching up on things as my full-time working has not given me any time to go to the WI meetings that were a regular part of my life for so many years. It was a great way to get to know people when I first moved here 17 years ago but this full-time teaching uses up all my time and wears me out. I just do not have the energy to head out again in the middle of the week. The only place I head for is bed!
I came home to a lunch of baked potatoes (sweet and ordinary) which went really well with a selection of dips I had bought reduced the other day. Peter, being a man who likes his protein had defrosted some beef stew from the freezer and I had a little of that but could have done without. I had plans to bake a cake today but instead I spent some time wrapping Christmas presents. Linas and Romas plan to come home on Monday so that will be the end of our peace and quiet. (I love them really.)

2 comments:

Elora said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! Looks like Currier and Ives scenes! So lovely you had time for a walkabout, too!

Elora

happyone said...

All photos are beautiful but I really like the second one. I think it would make a great Christmas card.