Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 23 December 2010

Escape From Colditz.

I made a break for freedom today. The persistent low temperatures have kept us trapped by the snow and ice and there are no signs of a thaw yet. We are just unused to these sorts of conditions. It looked like my only way out would be to walk (6 miles). On my way up the hill I met Paul who gaily informed me that I would be able to drive my little micra on the road but when I saw the covering of ice I knew that wouldn't be a possibility. Walking seemed like a much safer option to me.
It was only another mile of ice before the road became clear and easy to walk on. I was wearing my new walking boots, a bit of a risk as this was the first time I'd worn them so I did put plasters on my heels just in case and they were fine.
It took me about an hour to walk the 3 miles to the main road during which time I was passed by 4 vehicles all going in the opposite direction. As I got to the main road a landrover came up behind me so I stuck my thumb out for a lift. Nearly got myself run over by another car on the main road but when I jumped in the landrover I recognised the driver and his passenger- Rob & Laura. They were the owners of our Rav (before Alice) and they had given me a lift in similar snowy conditions about 4 years ago (in the Rav). Small world! Another 15 minutes to drive the final 3 miles into town. Excellent.
Town was busy, busy, busy. There was no post at the Post Office because as I had already found out the postman was leaving it (and Paul & Sarah's post) inside the micra at the top of the drive. Then I went to my old dentist to find out what sort of insurance scheme they have as they only do private work (my NHS dentist is not very good) . Not a good deal really, you pay £13 a month for which you get you check-ups and hygienist's visits but you still have to pay 90% of any treatment. I had 4 1/2 hours in town to buy the last few presents etc before Peter picked me up on his way home. We called in at the Co-op to stock up on veg and other groceries. Most of that is now sitting in my car waiting for the boys to bring it down tomorrow on the sled. We finished off the evening with a 'kebab feast' which Peter had promised the boys. Highly unhealthy but a great treat and we had lots of salad with it.

No comments: