Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 8 January 2011

A Good Day.

All week long I've been thinking about the fact that you have to do without something for a while before you truly appreciate it and today simply confirms my thoughts. It was sheer bliss to lie in bed knowing that I could turn over and go back to sleep if I chose, (which I did at 6.30) or lie cosy under the duvet and listen to the radio. But would I feel like that if didn't have all those days before of having to get out of bed and off to work while it is still dark - I think not. Having properly working taps all through the house is wonderful after weeks of only one tap in the kitchen, yet how many people long for that basic of life ? And heating at the flick of a switch is something else I'm so grateful for. Although I love to have the house full of friends and family being back to just 2 of us seems so quiet and so simple. Another of my current pleasures is being able to load the washing machine instead of boiling kettles and washing clothes by hand. I even get pleasure from walking on the new carpet in the downstairs corridor, so soft and springy and clean. Thank you boys for dealing with that job. To make the day even better the sun came out, not for the whole time but enough to entice me out to the garden for an hour (after necessary school planning had been done). Well wrapped up I cleared the fallen leaves and weeds from the gravel in the grass bed by the scree garden. Every tiny weed pulled is a potential monster removed and the leaves eventually break into many small bits and make a mushy mess on the stones which is nasty and harder to remove. Failing light and a hailstorm stopped play but enough had been done to generate of satisfaction.
Bread has been baked, housework done and even the drive has been repaired after the the heavy rain so I can look forward to a relaxing evening and there is still Sunday to enjoy.

1 comment:

Domestic Executive said...

We're back to work routine tomorrow - am dreading that 0600 alarm. Although I'm still "off" till February I'm sure I'll be working just as hard but at least I don't have the time pressures that formal work structures bring. Glad you managed a bit of time in the garden.