Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Time Management.

Not a single photo today. It was pitch dark when I left this morning, so dark I had to feel my way around the car to avoid falling over it as I walked to the passenger side to put in our recycling box (it was rather full after Christmas and visitors). The journey home was not much better as the heavy fog obscured visibility. Even with the car's lights dipped it was difficult to see the road ahead. It was only because I know the back road so well that I was able to maintain some speed. Coming around Ashelford Corner I saw a car in front of me lighting the way which was a real help until I realised I had driven past our turning and had to reverse back.
I can't believe it is only the second day back at school, it seems like forever. One of my New Year's resolutions was to make better use of my time. I seem to be tired all the time but if I can spend 30 mins each day doing some small task around the house at least some things will get done. It was as I was coming up with this wonderful idea that I worked out exactly how much time I have available. Shock horror! During the week, each day I spend;
10 hours at school constantly on the go,
1 hour travelling time,
1 -2 hours school work at home.
Which leaves me with 11 hours for sleeping, eating, housework, relaxing and feeding the animals (cats & hens). At the week-ends I spend 4-8 hours on more school work and that's not counting the time when sleep is not possible due to school stuff whirring around in my head. No wonder so many people leave the teaching profession. I wouldn't want to do this for the rest of my working life but I am truly grateful in this economic climate to have a job. The temporary nature of my contracts means that I take whatever hours I am offered because I never know when I might be back to working much fewer hours. In the meantime I shall concentrate on making the best/most efficient use of my time and not waste (too much ) time on mindless tv watching. Also I can look forward too driving to work through the sunrise, hopefully in the not too distant future.

2 comments:

Elora said...

Bless your heart, Ruta! We are all wage-slaves, aren't we, until we find a way to "retire" which isn't "retiring" at all, but simply being in charge of your own schedule. We now works for ourselves, essentially. I must say, though, I am loving "being retired." Freedom has always been my mantra...freedom to decide for myself what I do and when. I've been fortunate that such has been possible. Living "on the cheap" helps!! Keep your chin up, and you are so right about your good fortune in having a job in this horrible economic climate. Things are destined to get worse, so hold tight to it!!


Love you, girl,
Elora

Marrisa said...

Ah New Year resolutions!! Yep, have a few of them of my own too!

Happy New Year, hope you are well Ruta. Still reading and loving your blog, I am so impressed at your constant updates, they are appreciated.

Hugs - Marrisa xx