Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 30 January 2011

To See The Sea.

It was sunnier and warmer today with the outdoor thermometer showing 2C but the bitterly cold wind was still around. Maybe I should rename my blog Ruta's Weather watch but it does play such an important part in my life. Will we be able to drive the cars up the hill? Will we have to turn the heating on? Can I get out into the garden? Will the children be cooped up in class all day long? I don't even think of myself as an outdoor worker but the weather does make a difference to my daily living. Not to mention the fact that seeing the sun lifts my spirits. After spending the obligatory few hours sorting out my school plans for next week I took myself and my camera off for a hike around Morte Point. There were a few people about but for most of the time my view was only populated by sheep. (The eagle- eyed among you might have spotted Lundy on the horizon.)

This was a good walk to break in my new walking boots on rough ground. They felt rather heavy and the tipped up soles are a bit weird compared to my old trainers which are lightweight but unfortunately are not waterproof and don't provide any ankle support. Out on the Point it was cold enough for ice to be lying on the surface of the wet ground which looked rather strange.

I took the usual route going round the shaded, and very cold, side first. No seals today, just some floating logs. Once I got to the point I found a sheltered spot and sat on a sun warmed rock to enjoy the gentle roar of the waves and watch the swell as it rolled over the submerged rocks. I find it hard to pull myself away from spots like these but the clouds were beginning to cover the sun and home beckoned. The homeward leg of this walk is never as nice because the sea is mainly behind you and there are too many views of Woolacombe. Also there are generally more people out for a stroll and I am a rather selfish walker who prefers to enjoy my scenery uncluttered by buildings or people.
News story. Yesterday a 36 year old climber fell 1,000 ft down a mountain near Ben Nevis. When the rescue helicopter found him he was standing up looking at his map. Although he had fractured his back in 3 places he was still able to walk and after putting on his spare hat and gloves he was working out his next move. A very lucky man!




1 comment:

Elora said...

I SAW that story this morning on the Net, Ruta! Compliments of High Speed Internet! I read it to MM. What an incredible thing, his being rescued and able to be mobile!! Beautiful scenes from out your way, today! Miss being able to snuggle up to warm rocks as you describe!

Have a good week!
Elora