Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 6 January 2011

A Pleasant Pheasant.

Pitch black again this morning on the way to work. The sky was just beginning to lighten and show a hint of dark blue as I arrived at school. The day flew by and soon it was time to tidy the classroom and head back home. I'm not the only one at work feeling so very tired and wishing the holidays had been longer. The next thing we will have to contented with is the 'flu which seems to be on the increase once more, (11 people died this week!) I can't have a flu jab from my doctor as they only do at risk groups (I used to be able to persuade my GP that working with germy children put me at risk but she stopped giving me a free jab 2 years ago.) Last year the nearest place you could pay to have a jab was Exeter 60 miles away but I've heard that the pharmacist at our local Sainsbury's does them so I'll try for that. This latest 'flu is making people ill for up to 8 weeks so it would be well worth trying to avoid that. A view from school towards the junior school with my classroom/hut on the right.
At work a colleague offered me some pheasant (shot yesterday) which I eagerly accepted as I had planned to make a hearty soup/stew in the slow cooker anyway and the pheasant would be perfect for that. I didn't even have to skin the bird as it came already skinned and jointed. I've added parsnips, carrots, potatoes, onions and garlic along with a good dash of red wine. That will be something to look forward to tomorrow evening. Tonight we've left both our cars at the top of the hill as the forecast is for possible snow (on high ground- which is us), from midnight right through to 6.00. The long term forecast is for rain, then more snow possible the following week-end. So on a positive note this is a good time to be working full-time as outdoor jobs are not much fun at this time of year and if I was indoors I would be using up our expensive heating oil. This way I'm earning money and keeping warm at the same time.

No comments: