Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 22 November 2017

Grey and Wet.

It's been another grey day with sporadic patches of light rain. I had to pop into town for a couple of things including paint for our bedroom at B&Q, it's 10% off for us oldies on Wednesdays. I also wanted to locate a shop which was moving premises and having a re-opening on Saturday by Ross Mullen who played the White Walker in GOT. That took quite a bit of a search as I generally locate places in town by reference to nearby shops or notable buildings and I'm a bit hazy as to which street is which. (Only been here 25 years.) Even consulting the street map in the shopping centre didn't help. Eventually I called in at Super Heroes which sells manga related items, which I had originally thought was the shop relocating when I read about it in the local free newspaper, and the chap in there directed me to the right place. If only the newspaper had said it was opposite the kebab shop and Beats Workin I would have known straight away where the shop was.
 Butchers' Row with the Pannier Market on the left.
 Originally the Girls' School built in 1658.
 St. Anne's Chapel built in the early 14thC on the left with the church hall on the right.

Haven't got any information on this building but it looks like it also dates back to medieval times.

One of my stops today was Wilko to get some cooker hood filters. We've never had an extractor hood before and it was a bit of a shock when the panel with the filter fell down onto the glass cover of the gas cooker. No damage to the cooker but we simply could not work out how to put it back. A friend came round to look at some building work and he was also stumped. I used good old google to look at the hood manual which solved the problem. We had thought the filter panel went in flat above the cooker whereas it stands almost upright. I've been gradually giving the cooker a thorough cleaning as although it wasn't especially dirty it wasn't left spotless. Grease is my bete noire so I've been working on one part of the cooker at a time removing every last speck of grease from each nook and cranny something that wasn't feasible with the ever hot rayburn.

We haven't quite got the hang of shutting the front door and shortly after I left this morning Peter went downstairs and found the front and porch doors blown open by the wind. Both cats were sitting there sniffing at the open door but not venturing outside. I told Peter that was because every time I go out to the bins I tell the cats to stay inside.

For the moment my digital piano is set up in the sitting room. When I tried using my headphones the jack was too small for the socket but today Peter gave me an adapter. Much better to not irritate the neighbours with my playing and nobody will hear when I go wrong. The only problem at the moment is that my headphones are stereo headphones so I only hear the piano in one ear and the clunking made by the action of the keys is noticeable. Earbuds don't stay in well in my ears so I'll have to look for some mono headphones. 

1 comment:

happyone said...

We had the same weather today.
I just love English towns. Amazing how old some of those buildings are, just amazing.
It's a job getting all that grease all, but so worth it when it's done.