Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 25 November 2017

Winter is Coming.

Last night, just as we were heading upstairs we heard bangs and cracks coming from the kitchen. It turned out that the noise was due to large hailstones hitting the conservatory roof. No ordinary hailstones these, many of them were the size of peas which I've not seen before. A sure sign that winter is coming. Today has been bitterly cold with the occasional almost sleety shower.
I went into town today and got nearly everything done that I had planned. First was a quick stop to offload yet more stuff at the charity shop. Then over to the dump to get rid of 3 sacks of weeds from the garden and a selection of spare hoover hoses. After that I parked up and walked back to the High Street to meet Ross Mullan (he plays the White Walker in GOT) at Eclectic a memorabilia store. I've never been to a signing before and I have to say that Ross was charming. I was the only fan in the shop at the time and we chatted about GOT, Tolkien and Canada (he's Canadian). 
Afterwards I went to Asda to pick up some winter pjs that I had ordered on-line. I'd seen them in store and had fallen for their soft fluffiness. However the only two sets in the larger size had nasty grease or oil marks on them so instead I ordered them on-line. Ordering and then picking them up in the store means no delivery charges. The bottoms will need some alteration as they are far too big but that's not a problem. Naturally I checked out the reduced sections, no massive reductions but I got cinnamon and raisin bagels, olive pitta breads and onion bahji naans (no sure about their authenticity) for about 30% off.
One of my town stops was to the charity furniture shop to arrange for them to collect our under counter fridge and a good sprung double mattress as we found we do have room for our sofa-bed which is currently in the garage. While I was at the dump getting rid of the hoover parts a RSPCA man was unloading lots of excess stuff from their charity shop. I saw him put out the green basket trolley so I asked him for it and he offered anything else from his van. It was a shame to see good stuff being thrown out but the only other thing I took was the white trolley. Once the fridge has gone they will fit in the space until we can organise putting in matching cupboards.
The only thing I didn't manage to do was to speak to the window people to set a date for them to start work. I called at their office but unfortunately they close at 12.00 on Saturdays and I was too late.
At home we have been trying to link up the bedroom TV to the main TV downstairs but despite many trips up and down the stairs to check out 'help' pages on-line and press various buttons on both TVs we haven't quite got there. I have to say I do revel in the luxury of watching TV in bed and I'm sure the system will work eventually.


No comments: