Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 1 February 2018

What a Day !

What a day indeed! I woke while the sky was still black with the super-moon shining through the quick moving clouds. Unfortunately all the photos taken then were too blurry to post. 
I did my morning exercises in my study by which time the sky was turning blue.
 (Not Photoshop just the double glazing.)
I was hoping to catch the moon setting over the hill but it disappeared in a haze of pink clouds. I ventured outside hoping the blast of chemicals might have sorted the drain but no such luck. Peter phoned a local plumber with a good reputation and they gave the numbers of couple of local drain firms. He was waiting for one of them to phone back and while he was looking at their website he came across some helpful information about who is responsible for the shared drains. Any drains from your home to the shared drain is your responsibility and the shared drain is the responsibility of the water company. Hoping that the latter was the case Peter called out the water company and a nice man called Brian came with his rods and a fancy camera. It turned out that nobody else was affected and the problem was around the junction between our and the main drain. Brian sorted the problem to much joy and jubilation on my part. You never realise how important things are until you have to do without.

With the drain sorted I was keen to get on assembling the bin store. An icy wind was blowing and making our fingers absolutely frozen the wind was blowing everything around. Not only the instructions but the panels and even the empty recycling bins and bags went flying down the garden and across the grass. Most of the assembly was quite simple but the doors were a nightmare to slide over the moulded plastic hinges. Then came the dawning realisation that although the outside measurements were a bit bigger than the wheelie bin the 2" raised floor meant that the bin DID NOT FIT. Determined not to be defeated by a plastic store I began making a few adjustments. First I cut away some of the underside of the lid then when that wasn't enough I began removing a section of the floor. Things were still too tight so I cut some of the beams from the old shed to raise the level of the store. I can now close the lid and doors but still need to make a few more alterations ie chop a bit out of the back panel and then fix the store to the wooden beams. Hopefully it will all fit properly.
While I was customising the shed Peter set off for town, tripped on a loose slab in the garden path and fell onto his bad knee. This could trigger another flare-up of his arthritis and he is only just getting over the latest one which went from his hands to his elbows and then his knees. He insisted on still walking into town but I think we'll both be having a rest day tomorrow. 

2 comments:

happyone said...

I took pictures of that moon this morning too. All mine came out to blurry to post.
The bin looks very nice and good for you for making the those adjustments.
Sorry to hear that Peter fell on his bad knee. I've said a prayer for him that he won't have pain!!

Ruta M. said...

Thank you. I don't think it's gone into a full-scale flare up and is just a bit sore.