Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 7 September 2020

Mostly Wet.

Rainy morning, dry later on.
The day began brightly as I watched the world from my window. The little boy across the grass headed off with his mum for the first day of school looking smart in his uniform. Work began early at the end house to removed the existing cladding. Plenty of banging and a very squeaky wheelbarrow. The news tells of increasing rates of covid infection though we don't know how much is due to increased testing picking up more cases with mild or even no symptoms. That said I'm hearing about many schools that opened last week already finding cases of covid.
This morning I headed out in the car. First stop was the High Street where I visited the library for more research on the Which web site. This time I was checking out induction hobs and built in ovens. Both are expensive items and with such a vast range available I prefer to check out the reports. I certainly wouldn't just choose from the limited range offered by the kitchen suppliers. Having written down the make and model numbers of the recommended hobs and ovens once I got home I checked out the current prices and suppliers as the prices in Which could be out of date. Prices for both range from £300 to £1,500. No prizes for guessing which end of the range I'll be going for.
Then I drove over to Homebase to buy the above carnivorous plant. I'll looked at them the other day and decided not to get one but as it's the first time I've seen them for sale I eventually gave in. It's a North American pitcher plant, Sarracenia purpurea. I looked up its care on-line and during the winter it needs to go in a cold place where the leaves will turn black and regrow in Spring.
My other pitcher plant, a Nepenthes variety though I haven't been able to identify which since I lost the label, is taking over in the bathroom. This is the first time it's produced pitchers on several stems. I'll try asking about winter care at the garden centre.
I carried on packing this afternoon. This time it was baking tins and saucepans. The packing was the easier part but once I'd emptied the cupboard it needed wiping out which then led to washing the floor. One picture from the dinning room was wrapped in bubble wrap but I held back from doing the same to a big picture in the sitting room because then the room will look so bare. It can wait until next week.

2 comments:

lea said...

The price for some of the kitchen appliances is stunning, some of the monster refrigerators here cost $2-$3 thousand.
Now you have added one more to your 70+ plants.
We have a State wayside close to my hometown here dedicated to one of the pitcher plants: "This 18-acre botanical park provides parking and a boardwalk trail out into a fen that is home to Darlingtonia californica. Also called a cobra lily, the rare, strangely-shaped plant is the only member of the pitcher plant family (Sarraceniaceae) in Oregon."
https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm?do=park.profile&parkId=81

Ruta M. said...

I used to go to a national garden show with a friend and I found the carnivorous plants fascinating. The cobra lily has an interesting shape.