Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 1 September 2020

Sunny.

Once again it's been a sunny day. 
This morning the relative quiet of our close was shattered by the sound of a workman doing something? with this whirly machine. At first he seemed to be brushing the centre of the paths but then his confidence increased and he brushed away the weeds growing by the garden fences. 
Then he really went to town and began 'tidying' the edges of the central grass. And what a mess he made. The path was covered with soil and plants. When he'd gone round the grass he disappeared and for a while I wondered if that was it. Was I going to have to phone the council to complain? But no, a while later the chap reappeared with a blower thingy and whooshed the debris back on to the grass. Later on I saw evidence of more 'tidying' along the road, areas of dirt and leaves between some much cleaner sections of road and pavement. Who knows how much training this chap had or how little time he was given to do the job?
With the weather due to change soon ie tomorrow I thought it would be sensible to walk into town today to do a few jobs. First stop was Wilko's to get a refund on a couple of packets of toothpicks. Peter likes a particular brand so I'd got him some from Wilko's on my last High St. trip. However when I checked my receipt I was surprised to see they were £2.80 a packet yet when I walked across the street to a chemists the same ones were £1. I was rushing to get back to the car before my hour was up so didn't go back at the time but that's a ridiculous difference. Next stop was to M&S, again for a refund for a bra top (which came in dress sizes) but although they didn't have the next size I ordered one which I can pick up next Monday. (It'll be there sooner but I can't be asked to go in again this week.) I also tried on yet another fluffy dressing gown, I know I've just bought two fluffy dressing gowns from Tesco's but it was the most beautiful shade of grey. However the grey one was not as fluffy and at £28 didn't feel like good value. My final job was to go to the library to use the on-line subscription to Which magazine and read the report on fitted kitchens. They do lab tests on the units etc. as well as getting customer feedback on service and value for money. And you can be certain the views are genuine and not paid for ones. While the results for Wickes and B&Q weren't dreadful I think we'll go with one of the recommended Best Buys, probably Magnet. I had yet another chat with a friend who works at the library but our conversation was closed down by a gentleman giving his views on moving house. With the schools not quite back yet the park and the High St. were very busy. I treated myself to a spin around the charity shops most of which are now open. I had to wait outside some of them as they are restricting the number of people inside at any one time. Didn't find anything today though I did try on a flipper as I hope to learn to snorkel more confidently in the lagoon-like sea off Borth beach. Unfortunately the flippers were too small.
Just before arriving back home I stopped for a long chat with a friend who also lives in the Close but on the longer T bit. A little later I had a chat with my next-door neighbour who told me our buyers were out on a walk yesterday and eager to check out their new home. And the postman brought some paperwork from the solicitors so things are moving on.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Those blowers just blow everything around. Nothing like a good old sweep I think.
Glad to hear things moving right along for the sale of your house.