Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 29 April 2021

Cold.

All day bitterly cold arctic winds have been blowing bringing a few light showers in the middle of the day. That didn't deter Peter from walking nay skipping merrily down to the Community Hall for his second vaccination and then to the pub garden for a restorative pint. Being a mere youngster I still have to wait for my second jab.

Speedy was in disgrace this morning. He'd gone outside when Peter noticed the adult blackbirds mobbing him and there he was with a fledgling in his mouth. I've rarely succeeded in rescuing anything from him but I gave it a try. A rattle of the box of cat biscuits distracted him momentarily and I was able to grab his tail giving it a sharp pull at the same time (it's the only way). For once he opened his mouth in protest and the fledgling flapped off into the hedge where its parents were waiting. Speedy was rewarded with a few cat biscuits and confinement indoors and hopefully the young bird has learnt an important lesson. 'Don't go near the four legged things.' 
My day has been spent sewing the curtain. It was all hand sewing which I enjoy even if I'm not vey skilled. Today it didn't match the sea colours, I would have needed fabric in turquoise and petrol blue for that.
Forgetting to give it a final iron but remembering to rub the curtain pole with a candle to make the rings run smoothly I hung up the curtain. Then because I'm impatient I pinned up the door fabric to see how it would look. With a lining the colour difference won't be so marked and I still think I'd rather not have the seagull fabric all the way across. Reminds me too much of the curtains between hospital beds. I'm playing around with putting a seagull border across the bottom, maybe a narrower one at the top or even some individual appliqued seagulls. I do like to make things difficult for myself. 


1 comment:

happyone said...

Good job saving that little bird. :)