Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 25 April 2021

Sunny.

Bright and sunny today with a cooler wind.
I was up early, looked across the bay and saw three swans. The famous seagoing swans.
When I first saw them they were over by the rock islands then gradually they made their way over to us.
Eventually they flew off back towards the wetlands.
Before breakfast I shifted the old concrete blocks and built some sturdy stands for the plant troughs. For some reason there were four unused hollow concrete blocks there as well and I've used those to make a stand for a water butt which can be fed by the downpipe from the gutter. (Around the corner in the photo below.)
Then after breakfast and The Archers I emptied out a couple more troughs, dug out lots of montbretia from around the garden steps and planted them in the troughs. It's a very windy position and I think it would take a lot of work to grow 'window box' annuals so my plan is for montbretia all the way. I used soil rather than compost because I find compost dries out too easily.
As usual we spent the end of the afternoon sitting out on the terrace reading and then watching this wing surfer. His surfboard had a very long keel and for most of the time the board was in the air with just the keel in the water.
My final job of the day was to find the brush draught excluder, cut it to size and screw it to the bottom of the utility door. I tend to keep the back door open to air out the smell from the drains (they need a good blast through,) and the wind whistles through the gap under the utility door. Not any more.
 

No comments: