Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 9 April 2021

Dry.

The day began with a hint of blue but slid into greyness by lunchtime.
As we ate our breakfast we watched the lobster fisherman move slowly back and forth across the bay collecting his pots.
After breakfast I carried on unpacking boxes and moving stuff into the back rooms. I was also able to repack some of my mum's sculptures into smaller boxes which will make it easier to carry them up into the loft and generally shift them around. Then best of all on the spur of the moment we decided to move the second fridge from the kitchen into the utility room. As I was worried about marking the laminate flooring we put old towels under the feet before sliding/shuffling it down the hall to the utility room. That was relatively easy, much trickier was adjusting the feet to get it level. That was made harder by the uneven floor in the utility room but we eventually got it done with the aid of a lump of wood under one side. The only problem is that although we left it for a couple of hours it stops running a few seconds after it's switched on and we hardly tilted it at all. Will leave it and hope that it works eventually. Luckily there's not much in it and I can fit my ice cream in the other freezer.
It feels so spacious now that the fridge has gone (the white board on the floor is there until the kitchen fitter comes to make a shelf unit on the end of the larder.)
I went out for a beach walk in the afternoon. It was quite grey at the time but the sun has suddenly reappeared giving us blue skies with fluffy white clouds.
It was low tide so I had some fun looking for marine life down by the rocks. Can you spot the common goby in the middle of the photo below? Only about 5cms long they are hard to see until they dart about.
Ever on the lookout for sea anemones I found this one but as it was only half-way out I haven't been able to identify it.
Much more exciting was finding this much larger open sea anemone up on the big rock pile. There were lots of closed sea anemones there and then I came across a small pool with this one in. It was nearly two inches across and looking closely at the photo there seem to be some smaller ones tucked in above it. It's a beadlet anemone, a very common species as it tolerates being out of water well. The blue beads contain more stingers (nematocysts) and one source said they use these ones in territorial fights. 
I also came across some barrel jellyfish, the one below was about the size of a watermelon. Another four were on the sand between the flags put up by the lifeguards. As I walked along the beach I spotted a large red sign up on the shingle by the first rock pile. It was obviously a warning of some sort so naturally I had to go up and check it out. All sorts of ideas were going through my head, most probable was that there was some ordnance washed up and I could see something dark beyond the sign. But I do know that ordnance is usually watched over by the coastguards until it can be blown up so maybe not. Briefly I thought it might be a crime scene but where were the police and the yellow tape? My final thought was that maybe a dead animal had washed up but when the seal pup was there it was left to nature's devices. When I finally got there I read ' Danger - strong currents, swim between the flags.' and the dark object beyond was somebody's boat trailer. Just a sign put up by the lifeguards.

 

1 comment:

happyone said...

At least you saved the ice cream!!! :)