Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 17 April 2021

Sunny.

Bright and sunny with a cold wind today. Out on the water the new sightings included two people on jet-skis and a chap in a canoe with a child (also paddling) and a second child in a kayak by the canoe. They stayed safely in the shallow water and then later the adult alone ventured further out. One sighting I missed was of the dolphins. Somebody on the local page posted a photo of one very close to the beach. Also seen on the water for quite a long time was the red lobster pot boat. My imagination is running wild with the 'Lobster Pot Wars' story. Yesterday the yellow boatman pulled up the pots, stole the lobsters and replaced them with stones on which he'd painted - Ha ha. Today the red boatman was planting depth charges all round the pots. -Next instalment coming soon.
My first job of the day was to sort out the tangle of honeysuckle growing by the half-way gate in the front garden. Any bits with roots were replanted under the hedge and the long creepers wound through the hedge above. As, hopefully the next raised beds will be built soon I weeded the ground by the corner of the steps. It didn't take long for the female blackbird to come down and rootle around in the cleared soil. It looks like she already has a brood of chicks waiting for those juicy worms.
I emptied out these two plastic planters saving the muddle of small bulbs in some old pots. The planters are not to my taste but before I added them to the stack of broken plastic items ready to go to the dump I posted them on the give away page. To our surprise two people asked for them straight away and I'm hoping one will turn up tomorrow for them. Earlier a young couple came and collected the two chimney pots which they are going to put plants in.
Well wrapped up we sat outside for a while on the terrace. I used the time to work on my felting project which is very much a learning process.
My final work on the garden was to make a walkway in front of one of the raised beds in the back garden. I used the concrete footing which extended out for half the length of the bricks and added to it by digging out further and then filling the small ditch with the gravel that had been the greenhouse floor. I used bricks and was pleased to find that I had exactly the right number of grey engineering bricks. At some point in the future they can be cemented in place levelly but they'll do for now. Next thing will be to dig over the ground in front removing any roots or weeds. Having been under the greenhouse it's quite poor soil so I'll supplement it with the compost from troughs around the place.
 
As we ate our supper of sauerkraut, potato, cabbage and sausage casserole we were entertained by the sight of a small flotilla of kayaks and a canoe. They're still out now, maybe waiting for the sunset.

No comments: