Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 30 September 2024

Stormy.

At first glance this morning everything looked very monochrome with the horizon fading into a featureless sky. But as I sat, just inside the door to avoid the light drizzle, I began to notice faint smudges in the sky, rain clouds that were being blown along by a south-westerly wind.
And in the far distance a section of the horizon became visible as the cloud cover lifted lifted to reveal the hills of the Llyn Peninsula. 
Later on great breakers began to roll in, a sure sign of stormy weather out to sea. One brave surfer was out there for a while, I think it's the guy who lives in a house right by the beach and is a very experienced surfer. Then hours later the storm itself arrived turning the bay into a mass of white waves. The rain is so fierce that I can't open the door to take a photo without getting a face full of rain.

Earlier, while it was still dry I went out and did some gardening filling three bags with growth from the knautia in just one raised bed. Although they still had a few flowers they needed to be cleared before I could construct a cold frame using two pieces of perspex that have been wired together on one side. In the spring I use them as a cloche but now they are tucked in a corner between two low walls. This storm will be a good test of the way I've weighed down the top one. Inside the cold frame are two pots of osteospermum and some bowls of mixed sedums though now I'm thinking that the sedums can come indoors on the utility room window sill. 
I also painted the undersides of the two shelves destined for the sitting room. Once the batons are cut I can paint them white and who knows we may soon have the long awaited alcove shelves. I hadn't attempted to make them myself before now because my hands are simply not strong enough to operate the tool for the umbrella type fittings needed for the plasterboard there.
The next batch of tomatoes and a bent courgette. There were more of the yellow cherry tomatoes but they were eaten before I thought to take a photo. Right now I'm munching on a Golden Russet apple. It was good to see British apples in the supermarket last week and even better to find some russets. I think we become jaded when every kind of produce is available all year round and lose that sense of anticipation for seasonal favourites.

No comments: