Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 29 November 2009

Braving The Floods.

The weather was really bad today but I was desperate to try out the new camera so we togged up and went down to Barricane Beach. The roads were quite deeply flooded in several places and cars had to take turns driving through the shallower sides of the floods. I did get a bit concerned when the engine developed a little judder after going through all that water especially as I had left my RAC card and mobile phone at home. Luckily there were no further problems with the car. At the beach rain and hail were lashing down so the camera remained safely zipped up inside my coat. Eventually there was a lull in the rain and I snatched a few shots before the rain resumed.


The new zoom is definitely impressive even though at this point I hadn't put the camera onto high res which is what I normally use.

This family were braving the elements much to the delight of their 2 youngsters who were very amused when Granddad's boots were filled with water by the advancing waves.

The rough weather of the last few days had brought many shells onto the beach.

I couldn't resist collecting these lovely purple shells.


I might even get round to making them into some jewellery ............ one day.
The rest of the day has flown by. I've brought down decorations from the loft to take into school and now there is just time to do some tidying up before we have a supper of a warming cheese, onion, potato and cabbage casserole (with added spicy sausage), that Peter has made. It's a dish that my mother's vegetarian friends used to make in the days when they were all poor artists though we do add some bacon or smoked sausage for extra flavour.

4 comments:

Elora said...

Good choice on your camera, Ruta! Your pix are much clearer and very lovely! Thank you for sharing your surrounds! I used to live by the sea; now am in the mountains. Both offer much beauty!

Elora

happyone said...

NICE pictures!! I really like the ones of the waves crashing on to the rocks.

Catching the Magic said...

Love the shell photos! Your new camera is certainly being put to great use and those shells are very pretty indeed. Looks like a wild day on the coast, but breathtaking too.

BettyWestern said...

Great photos! Found you via the Farmer's Wife although I'm only in Sussex. Any chance you could post the casserole recipe - sounds perfect for the current weather! BW