Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 9 November 2009

Monday & Sunday.

There was ICE on the car windscreen this morning. That's what happens when you have a picturesque stream winding around the house. The first frost of the year for us. Now I can start stressing about the possibility of ice on the road out of the valley in the mornings! At school 9 of my class were away, 2 did arrive later but the others mostly seem to have high temperatures with coughs. I've almost got rid of my cough, I don't think I had a temperature with it, but now my cold seems to be returning, ho hum. The first of the parents' evenings went well though I did have 3 no shows. I was home by 6.00 but Thursday will be the late one.
Knowing I don't get many photo opportunities in the week I saved some of my beach photos for today.





This slate- type rock weathers into architectural ruins, hence last week's flight of fancy.


We found a rock pool with some sea anemones some of which had their tentacles extended as they waited for food. (If you didn't see it, watch David Attenborough's latest nature film - Fishes, which was on BBC yesterday, some amazing new footage of things I'd never seen before.) When I was at uni I went on several marine ecology field trips, with my love of the sea they were the some of the best times I had at uni. My practical side did make me see that there would be limited job opportunities for marine ecologists and that being a teacher would be the the better career move.


Now I simply enjoy observing rock pool life.

3 comments:

Catching the Magic said...

I never realised you read marine ecology at University, how very fascinating and what lovely memories you must have. The photographs in your post are stunningly beautiful.

Ruta M. said...

Thanks Sarah, Ijust think I'm lucky to have such lovely places to visit. My degree was a general biology one, officially Botany with Zoology, so we got to choose lots of interesting units though the compulsory organic and inorganic chemistry ones in the first year were HARD. I'm a bit of a jack of all trades as my family background is very arts based.Just the right mix I think for teaching.

Domestic Executive said...

Great pictures from your beach visit. So glad you decided to hold some back!