Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 1 March 2010

Lots Of Work.

Woke up today to a bright but misty morning.
It didn't take long for the mist to clear leaving more lovely sunshine. Out in the garden there are many early signs of spring including these cob nut catkins. It was sunny in the front yard so it was a good time to have a good tidy up. As I swept the paving slabs with a dustpan and brush, (the yard broom yet again has parted company with the handle), I was grumbling to myself on how it is that it is always me that does these tidying up job?. Answer - because nobody else notices or even cares about the mess. So why am I doing it? Because I don't like looking at mess and having a good tidy now makes it easier to clear up on the rare occasion that someone comes to visit. Grumble, grumble. On the plus side, if Peter was one of those people who like things neat and tidy all the time we would have fallen out years ago because although I aspire to tidyness I never quite achieve it.
For our lunch break Peter and I took some sandwiches and coffee down to Barricane beach. In the distance Lundy was floating on a cloud of haze with a few puffs of cloud above.

We sat on the rocks and watched the waves as we ate our lunch. There were quite a few people about which was surprising, early holiday makers? We are so lucky that we can get down to the beach in 20 mins when we want though it was one of the reasons that we moved here.
back home I trimmed the front of the leylandii hedge. It's a horrible job as the position of the hedge means that you are mainly cutting over your head with all the bits falling on your face and into your clothes. I got so hot zipped up in my old gardening coat that when I had finished I had to strip down to my t-shirt to cool off. I have tried to get the boys to cut the hedge but they get fed up and complain that I haven't got electric hedge cutters. The reason is that the hedge sits on a steep bank which slopes in 2 directions and it is hard enough to keep your balance with a pair of shears let alone an electric cutter whizzing away. I got Linas to move the big ladder for me so I could cut the top of the hedge which hadn't been done last year and took a lot of work. I also went up the ladder and blocked the holes to the loft above Romas' bedroom with wire netting to keep out the jackdaws which are still hanging around. All in all a good day's work.

3 comments:

happyone said...

Sounds lovely to eat your lunch outside.
The sun is out here today too.

Julie said...

i agree, I love that you are 20 min from the beach, I grew up on the beach and miss it!!! The sun came out here today too and I loved it

Domestic Executive said...

Those coastal shots are great - I love the way the clouds are hanging there!