Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 29 March 2010

Weather Warning.

The Metcheck web site has a big red banner running across it saying Severe Weather Warning. Once again sleet & snow are forecast for tomorrow. Oh joy!
It has been raining all day. At first it was just showers but the moment I put on my gardening clothes it set in for good, how predictable. So today I've done lots of housework. I wouldn't have to keep on doing so much if Peter & Linas would only refrain from cooking or eating or leaving dirty clothes around.
My bird watching has been confined to looking through the kitchen window. This house sparrow has been eyeing up the hole behind a stone in the wall by our bedroom window.
On closer inspection it seems to be suitable.

Definitely will do for a sparrow home. Last year was the first time we have had no house martins at all. We always had half a dozen nests under the eaves and this hole would regularly be inspected but found to be too small to use. I have no idea why they didn't come but it seemed to be happening in other places as well. The mud nests built on the other more exposed sides of the house did not usually survive our wet weather but there were always broods of youngsters chirruping away by our bedroom window. I deliberately keep the honeysuckle and roses well below the roof line so that the cats cannot reach any nests. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that they return this year.
Did a little more work on my shell necklace and started another pair of earrings.

Diet update, ( good motivator putting the weekly weigh-in on the blog). If I can lose another 2 lbs by next week that will be a whole stone gone by Easter.

3 comments:

Elora said...

We call those little birds English sparrows here in the US. The multiply by the hoards and occupy the streets in towns. They are good at scavenging and taking advantage of our sloppy eating habits! I have a pair here that have taken over the purple martins' house and I must go out and empty the house, so the martins will come. Otherwise the sparrows monopolize the "good" nesting sites.

Ohhhhh! Not good weather for you! Time to snuggle in for the night!

Elora

Elora said...

BTW, didn't mean to insult your birds!!!! Over here, across the pond, the instructions that came with our purple martin house specifically named the English sparrow (or house sparrow0 as being the main threat against having purple martins occupy the house. So, the birdhouse people recommended we get up and clean out the house sparrows before summer (early) when the martins arrive. So that's on my 'to-do' list!

Your necklace is LOVELY, Ruta! Beautiful!!

Elora

Julie said...

congrats on the weightloss... I think I need a chart to motivate me!