Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 20 March 2010

Tasty Suppers.

I was going to spend the day working on my shell jewellery as the heavy overnight rain continued during the morning. But then the rain eased up and had stopped by mid-day so of course I had to get out in the garden. 5 hours later I had cleared one whole corner of the scree garden of the beech leaves that had fallen in the autumn. The rain had sort of stayed away, it was more low clouds that shed a gentle mist over everything. I cleared all the corner under the pampas grass taking care not to get poked in the eye, the only disadvantage of not having to wear glasses. I know that garden designers turn their noses up at pampas grass but in the right place it has its uses. It provides some useful height especially at this time of the year when nearly everything in the scree garden is less than 12" high and it makes a good screen for the outbuildings at the end of the garden. And our flat-coated retriever Zulu is buried beneath it.The winter flowering heathers are coming into their own. Soon that part of the bank will be a mass of colour. Down in the pond the frog spawn has all hatched and the edges of the pond are full of tadpoles.
Back up on the stone wall the red saxifrage shows even more colour.
Linas spent the day at MIA on an airsoft day. Apparently it was so misty that they spent most of the time getting lost and unable to see their opponents but still had a good time. He got home just in time to join us for a supper of lamb bhuna which I had made. Yesterday Linas cooked supper for us, a Filipino dish of pork adobo. He got the recipe from one of his MSN friends, bought a joint of pork and cooked it from scratch. It was really tasty and I might try cooking it myself one day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss poor Zulu, him and all his slobber and fetching sticks... bless him. I thought Linas was in America? Did he change his mind?

Julie said...

those recipes sound good, you need to share :)
Spring came here yesterday....but today it looks like it might rain...it might be coming from your way?!?!?!?

Julie said...

oh and I started writing to you an email (hitting reply to a comment and it showed that your email was not listed so I saved it to send to you via comment... so I am going to paste it below)
________________

it is interesting that here in Hungary, many start from the bottom or they used to. Zach writes that way and another blogger whose husband is from Romania does the same thing.

Did I tell you that I am doing this online reading curriculum with Eli? He loves it. I looked into the Polly Phonics and many other ones on a homeschool site. This is how I found the computer game one. He loves it. Something about boys and video games.... he is hooked. He even asked this morning to do it before school. It is such a blessing to see him love something and DO IT. Such a blessing!!! It is called ClickNKids and he loves it... and it makes him want to play on Starfall more and more than he did before. It is so fun how much he loves it.

I haven't been around the blog world in a while. I am a bit behind in life now. I prescheduled all my blog entries last week, they are all from weeks before... sigh... I have over 600 in my inbox right now and I need to get through those. I hate email now that we are so far behind in it. (I am mostly caught up now :)

Ruta M. said...

Hi Al,
America fell through for Linas. He hopes to go later in the year but who knows?
Hi Julie,
I found a similar recipe for adobo on www.filipinofoodrecipes.net/adobo definetly worth trying.