Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 6 March 2010

Snip, Snip, Snip.

I've been a busy bee today, (and doesn't my back know it), working away in the garden mostly up and down ladders. I started the day by having my breakfast outside. The sky was bright blue, the sun shone and the birds were singing. The only other sounds were the gentle chiming of my windchimes and the voice of someone taking a riding lesson next door. You don't get better than that. My first job of the day was to cut and tie back the honeysuckle and roses that grow up the front of the house. Cliched I know but I always wanted roses over the front door. I was lucky to find a climbing rose that is happy to grow in a minimal amount of soil. (The raised bed is 12" deep on top of solid clay.) In fact it does so well that it now reaches the roof and and tries to cover 2 of the windows. I usually do the major tidy up of the wall in autumn but the weather and work put a stop to that. Today I was up and down the ladder tying and snipping with the occasional unladylike word as a thorn dug into me or I realised I had cut off a piece of the wisteria that hides in the honeysuckle.
My second task of the day was to trim the top and back of the leylandii hedge. The sporadic work done on it last year by the boys meant that in some spots I had to saw off rather thick branches. It wouldn't get any topiary prizes but at least it is tidy and under control. Tomorrow hopefully, I shall tackle the archway.

No comments: